By Becky Normandeau RD, LD
With the summer heat and humidity at its peak, I dread the thought of having to turn on the oven. When I’m looking to switch up my usual breakfast or snack routine, I’ll turn to a quick and delicious no bake recipe like this! It can be a great way to clear out the pantry. Easy, versatile, and many of the ingredients can be easily substituted for whatever you
have on hand. These days, I’ve been trying to limit my trips out to the grocery store, leading to a bit of experimenting using up different ingredients I have on hand. I made this recipe with pumpkin and sunflower seeds and was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out! Check out my recipe for no bake bars below.
Easy No-Bake Bars
· 1 cup dried dates without pits (soaked in water)
· ½ cup almond flour, coconut flour, or oats
· ¼ cup nut butter or sun butter
· ¾ cup your choice of nuts and or seeds
· ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract
· 1tbs agave nectar, maple syrup, or honey
· ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. Soak dates in hot water for 10-15mins
2. Line a baking dish with parchment paper (I used a 10inx7in baking dish)
3. Drain the dates and add them to the food processor.
4. Add all remaining ingredients (except for the chocolate chips) to the food processor and blend until mixture forms together (usually around 5 minutes).
5. Remove mixture from the food processor and evenly press into the lined baking dish.
6. If desired, melt chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle or spread on top of the mixture.
7. Place in the refrigerator or freezer to set before serving.
· Usually I just “eye ball” measurements when experimenting with no bake recipes like this one. The above measurements are estimates from that last time I made these bars.
· Peanut butter is a great choice in this recipe but sun butter or any other nut butter would work just as well.
· I have tried this recipe with a mixture of peanuts and walnuts and I’ve also tried it with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Feel free to try whatever you have on hand.
· I’ve made these bars with and without the melted chocolate chips on top. I used them as more of an “on the go” breakfast or post workout snack without the chocolate chips or as dessert with chocolate chips.